Sunday, March 4, 2012

My $1.00 seedlings labels

This is my first year when I am starting seeds inside.
I do not have much supplies and do not want to spend a lot of money. :)
I've bought plastic straws in dollar store, printed my plants names, 
 cut each straw in 2 pieces at 45` angle
 and glue a label using clear tape.
 I like my colored labels, I made red for tomatoes, purple for eggplants, yellow for squashes,
green for herbs and greens.
 On this photo you can see my 16 days tomatoes that I left the first time upstairs in unheated room,
I heard that under cold treatment regimen, you have to place young tomato seedlings in a day and night air temperature of 50-55F/10-13C for approximately 2 weeks. 
I have large bright room under my garage, it is bright but unheated. I have a small covered greenhouse (not a real greenhouse but shelf covered with plastic sheets).
Tomorrow there was 45F in the morning, but I believe the tomatoes are feeling good. 
 Please leave your comments! I know I am new, and this is my first time to grow tomatoes from seeds.

4 comments:

  1. That is a great, inexpensive idea for markers! Keep up the great work! I am in the muddle of making some out of galvinized washers and old wire coat hangers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! That's a great little system. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for labels, im always running out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I really like this idea! You'll have to let us know how it works out in the long run. :) I am using popsicle sticks, but yours is so much cuter.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete