Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Composting

Yesterday I bought a composter! I was thinking about a small composter for my new garden over 2 weeks. I usually have a big, huge compost pole, no  - compost field at the very end of my yard in the woods.

I am collecting leaves and other brown-green stuff over 3 years, but maybe I am too lazy / busy, I know, maybe I have too many leaves, maybe because of the woods shade, the decomposting process is very slow, and pile is big and not high enough.

 I call it my compost mine. I do not turn it, just damp leaves each time in different places.
In fall 2010 we got a huge harvest of .... acorns! 
 and those acorns are still visible.
I know I can do better than that, I understand it and usually I have enough partially decomposting material for my flower beds. This year I put some stuff in wire bins, I hope it may helps to speed the process.
And I think that have a small compost pile next to the garden is a good idea, I was thinking about making a  bin from trash can, but I still have to buy a trash can. Maybe I can make a 3-bin-system, but I still buy the lumber or pallets, and I do not think the 3-bins will be very esthetic.




And yesterday I sow this one, on sale for only $30! The new small trash can cost 19.99! and there are holes for air, side doors for compost. It looks very nice to me.
I filled it with last fall leaves, some compost, and kitchen scrap, watered it. I promise to turn it each other day and in a month I will make a report what's going on.

3 comments:

  1. Nice! I have three bins, but it's always so hard to keep them full. I find myself pestering the gardeners I see in my neighborhood to ask them for the leaves they rake up. I wonder if they think I am crazy, the way I run over with a trashcan and start raking alongside them.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting. I found I cut my garden bill by 100's of dollars after I started composting.
    @Christian- I hope they don't think you are crazy, I do the same thing! Stop by my blog sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!!! I think we all crazy, but in a good way. I got a book from library about composting, when I am driving I am looking around to see if people have vegetable gardens. I believe it is a garden virus!

    ReplyDelete