Thursday, March 29, 2012

Kombucha - Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard

Today I like to share how I am making my kombucha tea.
I like fermented food.
Kombucha has been know for over 2000 years the world over. It has been widely used in Russia, Germany, China and many other places.  It is naturally carbonated and is purported to have a host of healing properties that may include:
- Probiotics  !
- Increase metabolism
- Improve digestion
 Help clear up candida & yeast infections - oh yes!
and a lot other benefits!

It is living on my cupboard in warm shade in a big glass jar, once a week I take it out, examine and divide. The bottom part is old and sometimes if I see it's getting really dark, I tear the bottom part and discard.
I put the kombucha tea in a different jar leaving about 1-1-1/2 cups inside.
I use 6 teabag to make a strong tea (cold), 1-1/2 cup of sugar and filterer boiled water (also cold).


Do not mix with metal, I use wooden spatula.
At the end I put the kombucha on top and cover the jar with coffee filter and elastic band.
Good Luck!

Please look at Robin's blog The Gardener of Eden for the rest of the Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard posts.

13 comments:

  1. I have never had Kombucha. It sounds very nutritional. I do make Kale shakes around here. I think this is something we need to try.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are welcome! I am growing it about 6 years now. It is much better than soda for kids :) My autistic son is on a very special diet and the sugar in kombucha does not feed yeast. Try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting subject. Never know what Kombucha was so had to look it up. Do you raise the mushroom?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could raise mushrooms, I am just a beginner gardener, it is my first year! Do you raise them? How? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of Kombucha - I will have to seek it out. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, when I was a child my mom had kombucha, it was called tea mushroom. It is very nice drink especially in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting! I've heard of kombucha, but have never tried it and never realized you could make it. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I few of my friends are into kombucha but I never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved kombucha in summer but I couldn't find it once I moved here. Will have to ask my local farmer market guru if he knows where I can get small part and grow it too.

    speaking of mushrooms, living in CT you have alot of them around you - do you ever go picking them? Morels are about to go into season in next week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I enjoy kombucha, in summertime, yes! O bought mine on ebay about 5 years ago. I wish I could find mushrooms here, but I am in urban CT, there are some parks and I saw some "syroezhky" there but dogs are running over them so may be somewhere in Maine....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll browse amazon and ebay and see if I can find it. and your local parks should have smorchki (morels) and later in june licichki. We always go picking in our local areas as soon as the season starts - it's great way to add non-animal protein for me :)

      Delete
  11. Thank you, I will be looking for them. Are you vegetarian? My hubby is vegan, so non-animal protein is very important for us too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a total vegetarian as in I do eat meat but I prefer to use non-meat protein if I can for myself. My husband has to has his chicken and fish so I do cook it, but I also love mushrooms :)

      Delete