Monday, May 18, 2015

Harvest Monday 5/18/2015 - Melissa and Monarda

I started to dry herbs!

Lemon balm and bee balm this year are growing like  weeds.


 Lemon balm, or Melissa officinalis, was starter 2 years ago from seeds.

 - from www.herbwisdom.com
Lemon Balm was dedicated to the goddess Diana, and used medicinally by the Greeks some 2,000 years ago. In the Middles Ages lemon balm was used to soothe tension, to dress wounds, and as a cure for toothache, skin eruptions, mad dog bites, crooked necks, and sickness during pregnancy. It was even said to prevent baldness. As a medicinal plant, lemon balm has traditionally been employed against bronchial inflammation, earache, fever, flatulence, headaches, high blood pressure, influenza, mood disorders, palpitations, toothache and vomiting. A tea made from Lemon balm leaves is said to soothe menstrual cramps and helps relieve PMS.


Bee balm, or Monarda, Eastern Beebalm, Bergamot, Wild Oswego Tea, Horsemint was on ,y property before I moved in. I also planted red variety to the purple one.

from http://altnature.com - Bee Balm leaves and flowers and stems are used in alternative medicine as an antiseptic, carminative, diaphoretic, diuretic and stimulant. An infusion is medicinal used internally in the treatment of colds, catarrh, headaches, and gastric disorders, to reduce low fevers and soothe sore throat, to relieve flatulence, nausea, menstrual pain, and insomnia. Steam inhalation of the plant can be used for sore throats, and bronchial catarrh (inflammation of the mucus membrane, causing an increased flow of mucus). Externally, it is a medicinal application for skin eruptions and infections. Bergamot’s distinctive aroma, found in both the leaf and flower is wonderful for use in potpourri.








Please visit : Daphne’s Dandelions “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest or how they are using their harvests for the week.

4 comments:

  1. I just purchased my first bee balm plant two days ago so great timing for your post! Thanks for the info. Do you find it super invasive - I'm not overly worried, but wondering about how much it might spread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think in depends on location. I got my first bee balm in a shade between large azalea and large hydrangea and it is always moldy and tiny. I transplanted some to open herb garden and it grow like mint - yes, invasive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to grow lemon balm, but I rarely picked it and it was so hard to keep all the volunteers from spreading all over the garden. I do miss it as it smells so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love bee balm. This year, I'm growing lemon bee balm as I needed a pollinator that was an annual - hopefully it doesn't give me problems in the future!

    ReplyDelete